Sunday 27 March 2011

Playstation 3 - A Shmup Guide

A friend asked me recently if there were any shmups released for the Playstation 3 as he didn't own a 360, and just assumed Japan had all these great shooters for Sony's over-sized paper weight too..

So I thought I'd spend some time writing a short blog post to cover the shooters that are avaliable for Sony's system that hasn't seemed to have followed in it's Father's and Grandfather's shoes for wealth of shmup releases.

Now I own most of the avaliable Shoot Em Ups for The Playstation 3, partly because there is only one hard copy release that's only just about to be released in Japan this month. The others are only avaliable via download on the Playstation Network.

I'm only going to cover releases I know of for the UK & US Playstation Network, but please leave comments if there's any I have missed or any I should know about. In particular the Japanese Playstation Network releases. I do have a Japanese account but rarely use it.

I do not own all these games yet, so if some are questionable entries then please let me know your thoughts.

So lets start with the recent, due to be hard copy release:


Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han








The following are all available for download from The Playstation Network. I've seperated them into Sub-genre. eg. Hori, Vert, Arena..



HORIZONTAL



The Flying Hamster





GundeadliGne







Gundemonium Recollection







Sky Fighter






Söldner-X - Himmelsstürmer








Söldner-X 2 - Final Prototype + The Last Chapter (a recent add on DLC pack)





Who's That Flying?












VERTICAL



1942 Joint Strike





Alpha Mission II







Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank 
(Vertical fixed)




Hitogata Happa











RAIL



After Burner Climax










ARENA



Astro Tripper






Blast Factor





Gravity Crash





Pixeljunk Shooter







Pixeljunk Shooter 2





Riff: Everyday Shooter




Star Trek D-A-C






Super Stardust HD






So there we have it. More than some of you may have thought, less than some of us wish we had. I hope this helps any PS3 owners out there who want to play Shoot Em Ups and don't have access to the rather spoilt this gen counterpart, the Xbox 360.

Like I said before, if there are any I have missed from my findings then please let me know and I will add them in.

10 comments:

  1. Nice info on this post, thanks for the compilation.
    I still don't know some of these games, I'll have to take a closer look at them later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to ask...have you seen/tried Gal*Gun? In the process of getting a PS3 in, and that game caught my eye in a 'so wrong it's RIGHT' kind of way. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard of it before, but I just had a look. Very strange that's for sure :)

      Delete
  3. thanks for this great post with lots of info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a PS3/PC owner, I know and agree that the PS3 definitely isn't the place for SHMUPs, at least not for hardcore fans who don't play other genres. I'm a more casual SHMUP fan who has only played bullet hell games for a year or two since playing Super R-Type in the early 90's.

    I will say that the Gundemonium games are top tier, and deserve far more recognition. I can't find any other bullet hell games that have a similar style. The bullet shapes and patterns are unique and extremely varied, I prefer horizontal style, the fast movement of the bullets is exhilarating, I like the occasional use of bullets as obstacles rather than projectiles, the controls are extremely intricate (slow-motion mana attack, overheating when rapid fire is used too much, getting the manual counter bombs just right), and the SNES graphic style and music really works well for a doujin game too.

    I also think that Cave games are excellent, and would love to see them on PS3 or PC. At some point I might pick up a 360 to play them. (I actually own Deathsmiles and play it on a friend's 360)

    I'm really looking forward to getting Under Defeat HD on PS3 when it comes out for a US release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My shmups collection it’s huge and i build it in one month of work.Now that my cab software is finally taking shape, I am wondering if you will like it.I play shmups exclusively on Windows 10(64 bits).I’m using of course MAME but a special version who emulates all known arcade shumps.(http://taxi.freedns.ro/shmups/my-shmups-collection/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've skipper over the 2 best shmups on the system, physical releases too. Ketsui and Caladrius blaze

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've skipper over the 2 best shmups on the system, physical releases too. Ketsui and Caladrius blaze

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have done a great job I like, there are many important benefits of playstation store card

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. visit ds4windows`s official website

    ReplyDelete