Monday 12 September 2011

Complete US/PAL Sega Master System Shmup Collection In Pictures

Photobucket

Here are the 31 standalone boxed version Shooters for the Sega Master Systems. Included is an Atari Compilation with Missile Command.


*EDIT* - Since this post I have one more US/PAL release that I do not own - Predator 2, and also a handful of JAP only releases. Look at my Collection checklists for the full listing.

Not the most exciting collection achievement, but a small milestone in my collection. It's nice to finally have one system completely signed off. There are still a few variants I could pickup, such as the Astro Warrior double packs and there is a Brazil release 20 in 1 that came bundled with the Master System III in Brazil, which is a collection of absolutely dire games, that can't even be called games, they're programmed that poorly.

Photobucket

It was a system I focused on mainly because I knew I could pick up a majority of the games cheaply, and it wasn't until I started searching for certain games that i realised this wasn't always the case. A few games that I had trouble finding were, Astro Warrior (standalone version), that I had to import from the States.

Power Strike II goes for really high prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a copy from a fellow collector in New Zealand for a good price.

Sapo Xule, is a Brazilian release only and was very hard to find. When I received the game from a Brazilian seller, he had included the wrong cartridge. It took many emails back and forth, thankfully translated by Edward (Ed's 1CC log/KollisionBR), so a massive thank you to him for his help so I finally got the right game cartridge at no extra cost.

Bomber Raid I had to import from Australia, and the 3D titles seem to fluctuate in price from high to bargain low. I think i imported all of these from the States.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Some great pics there, man.
    I haven't played an SMS shmup in a while. Since you got them all how about us playing one till the end for fun? Pick one and let me know, let's have some sega 8-bit fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Edward - I reckon if it's going to be any one of them, i'd have to go for Power Strike II.. as it's known to be the best on the system form what i've heard. I haven't had a chance to play it since I picked it up as my SMS is a little faulty and the sound and picture skip, which becomes annoying when dodging bullets, but I can get hold of another unit from a friend or buy one cheap. How about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect!
    While you arrange to get a new SMS I'll be tackling Power Strike so I can go through both games.
    Wish me luck on this first one, I heard it's kinda nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right. I remember playing it briefly when I first bought it. Thankfully they are not actually related, only by name. I think Power Strike II is actually part of the Aleste series, if my memory serves me right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need help remembering a game name. shmup for the SMS. Vertical scroll, Space theme. I didn't own it, just played it at a friends house. It was awesome, I cannot believe I can't remember the name!!!

    Details:
    I remember collecting weapon power-ups, though that was nowhere near as important as collecting "wingmen". They were unique in that they were not in a fixed position. They would "follow" your path. (always shooting vertically though). If you can remember the name I would really appreciate it. I am trying to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NVM, i found it. I was reading your post again and wondered was astro warrior was. THATS IT, thats the one I was looking for :). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! very nice SMS carts there sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dark Rift - Thank you sir. Was enjoyable collecting them, just need to put some game hours into them now.

    ReplyDelete