Friday 20 May 2011

MAY 2011 SHMUP PICKUPS

Photobucket


It's been a small haul this month. My bank account has still to recover from March, but still managed to squeeze in a few bargains.

Game: Xevious
System: Atari 7800
Developer: Atari
Released: 1987

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I actually picked this up in April but somehow missed it in last months post. My first ever Atari 7800 game. I never had any plans of collecting for anything pre NES, but I loved the cover art for this and it was boxed and complete and a bargain at £3 delivered.

I don't actually own the system, but I remember wanting a 7800 as a child. I always liked the look of the console for some reason. My parents wouldn't buy me one as they had already bought me an Atari 520ST (*cue hisses from the Amiga heads), and a NES. Fair enough I suppose. I will pick one up one day, it's one of the few consoles that i've wanted that I don't now own.


Game: Mega Swiv
System: Sega Mega Drive
Developer: Sales Curve Interactive/Time Warner Interactive
Released: 1994 EUR

A Europe exclusive for Sega's Mega Drive, and not a bad shmup at that. 
Photobucket






















On a recent interest I took in finding a complete list of Game Boy shmups, I stumbled across a few DS ones, and went on a further search. The next two purchases are ones I picked up super cheap.

Game: Glory Days 2
System: Nintendo DS
Developer: ODENIS Studios/Secret Stash Games
Released: 2007

Photobucket


Not really a big fan of the DS. I own 2, an original JAP 'phat' model as they call it, and the slim, brighter screened, DS lite. I always find it gives me hand cramps and isn't that great to play for long periods of time, let alone the thought of using it to play my favourite genre. All things aside, I really wanted to pick up Ketsui Death Label one day so I kept hold of the system just incase. Glory Days 2 reminds me of games like Choplifter. I have't really given it more than a quick try but found it hard to control and shoot accurately, as your forward motion forces the front of the helicopter to point angled towards the ground. The DS stylus can be used for controls or you can use the standard D-pad thankfully.


Game: Nanostray
System: Nintendo DS
Developer: Shin'en/Majesco Games
Released: 2005

Photobucket



First impressions are really good for Nanostray. Not had a chance to play it more than the first level, but looks very promising indeed. Will definitely be looking to pick up the sequel soon too.


GUNHEAD'S SHMUP OF THE MONTH

Game: Eschatos
System: Xbox 360
Developer: Qute
Released: 2011

It finally arrived, just over a month after release date and a little bit of worry from myself. This is by far my most played shmup in the month of May, and so I give it my Gunhead shmup of the month award. I'm sure it's very proud of itself :P

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Ist print includes OST CD
Included on the disc are the Wonderswan/WonderWitch exclusive fan made games, Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins. Both two fun little shooters. I did a mini review of Cardinal Sins on a previous post here.

Photobucket

Photobucket



























I also inherited a Master System II back in March, for absolutely nothing but the cost of postage. Doesn't work too well. Some picture issues at times, but I think it may just need a good clean inside. Sadly these units only output an RF signal. Perhaps a future mod project for myself?

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. New shmups are alway nice!!!
    Recently I beat Firepower 2000 on the SNES, the equivalent to Mega SWIV. The MD game has an additional stage, I guess that makes it the best from both. And I want to give a little bit of love to Judgement Silversword very soon.
    Dude, after I answered your message a few minutes ago I was able to get 85 M in Ketsui. Need to practice it more, the 1st loop clear might a reality after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Edward - Woah fair play man. I say if you go for 1st loop, please record footage. Be one hell of a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice pickups there mate, like the shmup of the month idea too. Glad youm picked up Nanostray, it a cool little shooter me and my brother used to play it two player on two DS systems - damn fine fun. SWIV on the Megadrive surprised me too, it plays very well doesn't it? Cyanide pointed me in the direction of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Geoff - Cyanide is a good guy and has a good taste in games for sure. Mega Swiv is pretty good, and a European exclusive so I imagine easily overlooked. I found it really cheap but condition wasn't what I expected it to be sadly when it arrived. I'm definitely going to give it alot more play though. Glad you liked the SOTM idea. Wasn't sure where to go with it. Ideally i want it to be the chance to do more mini reviews like the one I did for Cardinal Sins.

    ReplyDelete